Skip to main content

Get Lenin


Today I would like to welcome Robert Craven and his book "get Lenin".

Robert, tell us about yourself?
I was born July 2nd 1966 and I am currently living in Dublin, Ireland. I have had my first novel Get Lenin published by Taylor Street Publishing, an independent press based in San Francisco. I started writing in my teens, short stories, poems, song ideas as I was playing bass in various bands around the city.

I have worked as a Graphic Designer and Desk Top Publisher for various Dublin publishers learning the ropes and in 2000, collated my diaries from the years of gigging & turned them into a novel. Titled ‘Vocals preferred, own transport essential’ I pitched it for about a year without success. In 2004/05 I started writing Get Lenin, have since had the sequel ‘Zinnman’ published and here I am today!

I have a full-time job, married and a father.

I write CD / download reviews for ‘Musicians Together Magazine’, an Irish on-line magazine featuring local and international acts; a real pleasure as I get to listen to great music and write about it!

What is the title of your book(s)?

I have 2 novels published – Get Lenin, Zinnman, and the third installment of the series titled ‘A finger of night’ has been submitted to the publisher.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

About 15 years ago, I read a review of book titled ‘Lenin’s Embalmers’ by Ilya Zbarsky and read further about the history on Germany’s invasion of Russia in 1941. Lenin’s mausoleum was shipped in its entirety 1000 miles to the Urals. I thought it’d make a great premise for a novel about a crack German unit sent in to steal it and bring it back to Berlin. For Zinnman, I came across an article in the Daily Mail about Edward, Duke of Windsor plotting to re-take the English throne and his admiration for Hitler. Hitler had gone on record that the only person in England he’d deal with was Edward.

What genre does your book come under?

Thriller, historical fiction, action-adventure, espionage.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Get Lenin: Eva Molenaar: Ingenue, muse, model, assassin – she’s uncovered a plot and she’s the only one who can stop it.

Zinnman: 1941 – The Duke of Windsor wants his throne back and he may just get his wish…

Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?

Both novels are published by Taylor Street, a small press, but growing rapidly.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Get Lenin’s first draft took a year, in the end it took about 5 years to write, pitch and get published. Zinnman flowed a bit more quickly and the first draft took about 5 months.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

The Eagle has landed, Charlotte Gray, Fatherland, The little drummer girl, Where Eagles dare.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Get Lenin is plotted from May 1933-41 and covers the rise of Nazism across Germany through the eyes of Eva Molenaar, she witnesses first-hand the brutality of the new order and her journey takes her across Europe to 1938 when she undertakes her first mission as a spy. There’s plenty of action from the middle part onwards – a bit like a roller coaster.

Zinnman is a break-neck read and follows 6 months on from the end of Get Lenin.

Reader comments


 Get Lenin

Having read several world war two espionage books over the years, I found this to be a moreish and addictive read. Starting with Hitler’s inception into power in the nineteen thirties before war. Get Lenin tells of a young Polish woman called Eva who works as a secret agent and uncovers a plot by the Germans to steal the body of Lenin in order to undermine the morale of the Soviet Union during the invasion. While employed as an agent she rubs noses with several well known people notably Oswald Mosley as well as Himmlers pet favourite the sinister Thor Shenker of the SS. This book is a tale of love,war and conpiracy and is recommended to anyone who likes spy stories. without an over complicated plot. A great read by Robert Craven and a deserved 9\10


 Zinman

Robert Craven's sequel to his ground-breaking "Get Lenin" thriller kept me focused from the first page to the very last word. Romance, intrigue, danger, rousing adventure and pulse-pounding battles set in Europe during World War Two make for one of the best reads I've had in recent months. This is a book I've been waiting for since I read his "Get Lenin". The story ends with a pretty clear hint that there'll be a third book forthcoming. I hope I'm right about that. Robert Craven is a fine writer who hopefully will be around for a long time to come.


Follow me on Facebook at:
Robert Craven
Get Lenin
Zinman

Novel’s links:

Get Lenin
Zinman


Other stories:
Vampire short story


Comments

  1. A great interview. Well done the two of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting interview and a good chance to learn more about a fellow writer. I am currently reading Get Lenin but wish life did not keep poking its ugly nose in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie

    Life does have a way of doing that

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Shield of Health - Author Spotlight

A Shield of Health   It’s Only Madness A New Book by Bill Talcott First of all I would like to thank Lawrence Fisher for inviting your Dear Old Uncle Bill to his blog and giving me the chance to convince people NOT to purchase the latest book, Shield of Health by that madman Bill Talcott. That’s right, NOT purchase Shield of Health. It’s crazy to think that anyone would sit in front of a computer for a countless number of hours writing about people and places that don’t exist. And it’s not just the writing, it’s the time spent thinking this stuff up. You’d have to be out of your mind. Right? The whole idea is almost as insane as The Mission . So I guess you could consider this Bill Talcott guy to be twice as crazy. Oh excuse me, my psychologist says that term is no longer used. Whatever. Just to give you an example of the madness I’m talking about, here’s an excerpt from Shield of Health. The senator remained calm, letting Mack come across as the one who was being un

Destiny!

Destiny   A New Book by Andrea Buginsky Today I interviewed Andrea Buginsky about her new book and this is what she had to say about it: "I love fantasy. It is a great way to escape the world you’re in and enter a number of others. When I started writing my own fantasy stories, I was amazed at how pulled into the worlds I was creating I was. It was as if the world around me changed to the setting of my stories as I wrote them. Occasionally, I would be interrupted, and it felt like being pulled back through a portal and returning to our world. I would immediately take care of the situation and quickly return to the world in my story. The first world I created was Phantasma, a magical realm with elves, dwarves, goliaths, queens, monsters, and magic. It is the world in my first series, The Chosen. The second world I created is Avalon. Although it takes place in modern time, it is set apart from the rest of the world, and feels like a world of its own, lost in a time of lo